- Launch the program "DS3 Tool"
- Open the "Driver Manager" tab
- Check the box for PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller (it may be a named USB port instead)
- Now click the "Install All" button and restart your system when prompted.
- It may take a few minutes so be patient!
- When your system re-initializes open your "Control Panel" then "Game Controllers"
- On the "Game Controllers" window choose "Properties"
- You can use this window to test the controller and see if it's functioning.
Using the controller with an emulator...I was able to get my controller working with an old-school SNES emulator. You can download it below.
After you get your controlelr working you can launch the emulator "snes9x" and map PS3 buttons to the games functions. Go to Input->Input Configuration. I threw in my favorite old-school game too below. :D
Download Linkssnes9x-1.53-win32 - Emulator
SNES Rom - Super Mario All-Stars
You may need 7zip, a free archiving program, to extract the files.